Listas de Correo
Facultad de Ciencias Naturales y Museo - UNLP

[coccoliths] Microscope retailer UK

Young, Jeremy jeremy.young at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Aug 20 05:13:03 ART 2018

Hi Christian

I have not personally tried GX microscopes in any depth but it certainly is possible to get good microscopes for far less than the major manufacturers ask - the body should  be fine, the  main problem will be whether the optics are good. However, a lot of what you pay for with expensive optics are obtaining a wide and strain free field of view - ie no distortion at the edges. As a nannofossil worker these expensive characteristics are a bit of a luxury - what really matters is how sharp the nannofossil is in the centre of the field of view. I have an ancient Leitz Ortholux and whilst the overall field of view is nowhere near as good as on a modern Zeiss or Leitz microscope I can see individual nannos fine.

As for LED illumination this is absolutely the way to go, lighter, cheaper, more reliable and much easier to get a really bright illumination.

I suggest you try to get demonstration of the microscope before you buy and try it out with microscope sides you know well -

Jeremy