Listas de Correo
Facultad de Ciencias Naturales y Museo - UNLP

[coccoliths] ID help request

Lees, Jackie j.lees at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Nov 21 18:23:54 ART 2017

Hi, Patrick!

Pl.1 - Most of these elliptical ones are Watznaueria, as you already identified. Those with an elliptical hole in the centre are W. fossacincta, those that are closed are barnesiae - note correct spelling, and those with short-axis bars are britannica. The circular ones are Cyclagelosphaera (margerelii). Note that you should look at the shape of the central area to determine if they are elliptical, because preservational effects (etching and overgrowth) can change the shape of the outline - and these would not be classed as well-preserved; they are moderately to poorly-preserved.

Pl.2 - All Watznauerias.

Pl.3 - Ellipsagelosphaera is a junior synonym of Watznaueria. These are all Watznauerias.

Pl.4 - All Watznauerias.

Pl. 5 - Preservation has affected these badly. Some are Watznaueria and Biscutum, others unidentifiable. The spiky ones are Stephanolithion, as you identified - these are age-indicators.

Pl. 6 - The things you are identifying as Coccolithophorida are coccospheres, made up of coccoliths. Some of these are Discorhabdus. One image is a Rotelapillus, another is a Zeugrhabdotus

Note that there is nothing palaeoecological you can determine from these SEM pics, unless you have laminae, but you might be able to use counts from light-microscope samples to determine something. Stratigraphic analysis would have to be done with the light microscope.

See these papers and references therein, as a start - especially works by Mattioli:

I would be happy to talk to you further about your project.

Cheers,

Jackie