Listas de Correo
Facultad de Ciencias Naturales y Museo - UNLP

[coccoliths] Graduate level nannofossil courses at Kiel University

Denise Kulhanek denise.kulhanek at ifg.uni-kiel.de
Tue Jan 30 08:07:33 -03 2024

Dear nannofossil community,

I wanted to let all of you know that I am following in the footsteps of my MSc advisor (David Watkins) and PhD advisory (Woody Wise) by teaching calcareous nannofossil taxonomy and biostratigraphy courses here at Kiel University. The courses are offered as part of the MSc in Marine Geosciences but are open to others, including those from outside of the university. If you are a student in the EU system and require ECTS credits for your degree, each course is worth 5 ECTS credits and you can enroll in the courses without being admitted to a degree program at Kiel University for a small fee (~€100 per course). If enrolled in this way, you will get an official certificate from the university when you complete the course. (You can also take the courses informally without enrolling and I can provide you with a certificate of completion.)

I am teaching two courses. Cenozoic nannofossil taxonomy and biostratigraphy is taught during the summer semester (mid-April to early July) and Mesozoic nannofossil taxonomy and biostratigraphy is taught during the winter semester (late October to early February). Typically the course meets once per week for ~3.5 hours and the final grade is based on a project and exam. It is possible for me to offer the course in more of a “block” format where we meet more often over a shorter period of time, provided that any Kiel University students taking the course also agree.

If you (or your students) are interested in taking one or both of these courses, please get in touch with me and we can see how best we can arrange it.

Cheers,
Denise

Prof. Dr. Denise Kulhanek
Institute of Geosciences