Listas de Correo
Facultad de Ciencias Naturales y Museo - UNLP

[coccoliths] morphometrics for 3D printing

Young, Jeremy jeremy.young at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Oct 12 18:16:55 -03 2023

Hi Fab

Nice model! I'm not too sure you will find much of that sort of data but:

1. Braaudosphaera can be modelled entirely mathematically so could be a nice place to start.

2. In the particular case of the C. lept distal shield the faces are all rhombohedral calcite a faces so you can derive most of the angles simply from that - but maybe that is what you have done already? Two references for this are Young et al 2004 and Avrahami et al 2022

3. In a way what you are doing is similar to what I did ages ago in 2-D - see Young 1989. If the CAD program is able to eliminate the parts of two solids which overlap then I guess you mostly need to define the leading edge of each element and the profile across the coccolith

Jeremy

Avrahami, E. M., Houben, L., Aram, L. & Gal, A. (2022). Complex morphologies of biogenic crystals emerge from anisotropic growth of symmetry-related facets. Science. 376: 312-316.
     	    Young, J. R., Henriksen, K. & Probert, I. (2004). Structure and morphogenesis of the coccoliths of the CODENET species. In, Thierstein, H. R. & Young, J. R. (eds) Coccolithophores - From molecular processes to global impact. Springer, Berlin 191-216.
Y          Young, J. R. (1989). Observations on heterococcolith rim structure and its relationship to developmental processes. In, Crux, J. A. & van Heck, S. E. (eds) Nannofossils and their applications: Proceedings of the 2nd INA Conference, London 1987. British Micropalaeontological Society Publication Series . 1-20.